Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sugar Scrub: DIY

To go with yesterday's salt scrub, here is one made with sugar. This is my personal favorite of the two, for the rich sweet small that the brown sugar gives it. Its equally as easy to make and personalize. This recipe will make enough to fill a 12 oz mason jar, and you will still have a little left... about enough to fill a 4oz baby food jar.


 1 cup baby oil
(or any of the other oils listed on salt scrub recipe)

1 cup cane sugar

1 cup brown sugar

a few drops of essential oil (or none, the sugar smells good alone)


Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Spoon into a glass container. Don't forget: don't use plastic or metal, the essential oils will react weirdly with materials other than glass.

A few pointers:
*you don't have to use the two different sugars, you could use one sugar. Just be sure to keep your scrub two parts sugar to one part baby oil.
*For sugar scrubs, water contamination is bad news bears. If you get water in your sugar scrub, fungus and mold will grow (you don't have to worry about this with salt scrubs, since salt is a natural preservative). To avoid this, store your container outside of the shower and use a scoop or spoon to take out the amount you need and bring that into the shower with you.
*Be creative when decorating scrubs to give as gifts. Here is a photo of the scrub I gave to my MIL for Mother's Day:

Have Fun!!!!!

Tomorrow I'll be sharing a tutorial for a birds nest necklace (they're adorable!) And later this week I have two before and after furniture reveals/tutorials.  If you need furniture painting, refurbishing, antiquing, distressing, or aging tips then Thursday and Friday are your lucky days! I have lots of tips from my own mistakes that will save you a lot of time and stress (and if you're like me, minor crying sessions). Redoing furniture can be overwhelming and it's a lot of trial and error. I hope my errors can spare at least one person from making the same. See you tomorrow :)

1 comment:

Laura Darling said...

I am definitely going to try this! I used to buy a sugar scrub from Trader Joe's but they stopped making it, and I have really been missing it! This might just take its place!