Monday, May 14, 2012

Homemade Salt Scrub

I'm going to be doing a DIY week, since I've had a lot of projects going on lately that I wanted to share. Today I'm going to start with the simplest of them.
Salt scrub is great for sloughing off dead skin from your hands, feet, elbows, knees... or for exfoliating in general. I made some of this scrub with my nephews (not technically, but as far as we're concerned!) to give to their mommies for Mother's Day. It was so easy and it smells amazing!!! Christi already used some on her hands and she said it was awesome... she noticed a difference in her skin after just one use.

This recipe will fill an 8oz jar
In a bowl, mix together :
1/2 a cup of salt
1/4 a cup of olive oil
A few drops of your favorite essential oil

Then spoon mixture into a jar... 
and you're done! 


other tips and tricks:
You can use regular table salt or sea salt, depending on how coarse of a scrub you'd like. I will say however, that if you choose a sea salt, to not use it on your face. You don't want to tear your skin.

If you don't have any olive oil, or you want to use another kind, go ahead! I know some people don't like the scent of olive oil so Jojoba oil, almond oil, sunflower oil, or even baby oil would work just as well.

I used sweet orange essential oil, but I also love the scent of lavender and patchouli mixed together, or lavender and vanilla. Play around with scents that you like. There are endless possibilities! You can also omit the essential oil, of course, and do a non-scented scrub.

I would recommend using a glass jar for your scented scrubs, as plastics tend to absorb essential oil's and certain metals will react with them as well. Glass is definitely a safe bet, and I also think that it makes cleaning and reusing your container easier.

Scrubs make great gifts. You can gift them for Christmas and birthdays, whip some up to add in a care package... expectant mother's, new mom's, teachers, military spouses... With a DIY this cheap and easy, you can't loose!

2 comments:

Estilo Hedónico said...

AMAZING PICS!!

http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

xoxo

Jenna E said...

Awesome, I need to try this out. I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect scrub. My skin is always soo terribly dry